Ah the first snowfall of the season is here in Illinois. The trees are covered in thick leaves of powdered snow and white blankets Mother Earth. It is quite a beautiful sight. Stepping outside though, you feel the bite in the wind and the harshness winter also brings. It looks like I will be admiring the view from indoors today.
Still feeling the chill from outside, I wanted to cook something that was comforting and hearty, warming me from within. I used to love broccoli soup. It is so creamy and delicious. In order to mock the cheesy, creamy texture of traditional broccoli soup, most vegan recipes use yellow potatoes for the base. I wanted to switch it up and see how a sweet potato would pair. The result: a creamy filling soup with some sweetness in the mix!
This soup will fill you up without filling you out. Here are the ingredient health benefits of this warming meal:
Sweet Potato – Aside from their orange color (which means they are filled with Beta-Carotene and an excellent source of Vitamin A), sweet potatoes are high in vitamin C, Iron, Magnesium, Potassium, as well as Vitamin D, which is important for our energy and mood levels.
Broccoli – This stalky green contains glucoraphanin, which the body processes into the anti-cancer compound sulforaphane. Besides protecting against cancers, broccoli is also an anti-inflammatory food, a powerful detox food, and helps alkalize your body. It is recommended that 80% of our diet should be alkaline foods.
Almond Milk – Another Vitamin D rich food, 8 oz of almond milk contains 25% of your recommended intake of Vitamin D. It is also very mineral based, containing calcium, iron, magnesium, phosphorus, potassium, sodium, and zinc.
Garlic – Garlic is highly known to boost the immune system, due to its anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, vitamin B6 and vitamin C.
Containing lots of Vitamin A, C, and D, this soup is perfect for the wintertime, where flu and cold season is also among us, helping protect our bodies from these germs.
Sweet Potato and Broccoli Soup with Roasted Garlic (Vegan)
(makes 2 servings)
- 1 medium sweet potato
- 2 cups chopped broccoli florets
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1/2 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1 medium yellow onion – diced
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place washed sweet potato (with skin) on baking pan, along with garlic cloves, and bake for 40 minutes or until softened.
- In the meantime, in a saucepan, heat olive oil over medium high heat. Add diced onion and stir occasionally, until soft and fragrant. Around 3 minutes.
- Add broccoli florets to saucepan and cook for 5-7 minutes.
- Add liquid (almond milk and broth) and bring to boil.
- Peel the skins off the sweet potato.
- Add sweet potatoes, garlic, and broth mixture into a blender and blend until a semi-chunky consistency forms.
- Add back to saucepan and continue to heat for two minutes until hot and ready to serve.
- Lastly, season with salt and pepper to taste.