So I am trying to become Vegan. I am already a healthier than average eater, but a few factors have made me want to try this whole Vegan lifestyle out. For one, I am an animal lover. I always have been but I disassociated from the fact that what I ate was once a living creature. A while ago I stopped eating pig and cow for this reason. I recognized them as creatures like you and me. Pigs are actually more intelligent than dogs and was actually interested in owning a micropig for a while. It didn’t make sense to me to eat an intelligent creature. Same goes for cows. Dairy cows actually have best friends that they graze with. Seeing these and other facts, such as the extreme amount of damage these stockyards due to our ozone layer by producing large concentrated amounts of carbon monoxide, turned me off these once food choices. I also have many friends that are Vegan. A lot of people at the crystal shop I work at are Vegan and it also makes sense to me that as people’s awareness and consciousness shifts, the idea of killing animals for food is inhumane and not necessary for survival. There are so many reasons that going Vegan makes sense to me, from an ethical standpoint, but as well as an environmental and health standpoints.
But just because I am going Vegan, I am not going to skimp out on flavor! I love ethnic food and decided to make this Thai inspired salad. Not only does it taste delicious and reminds me of the classic dish, Pad Thai, but this salad is a lot healthier for you too! Full of yummy ingredients with wonderful health benefits. Let’s find out what they are, shall we?
- Red Cabbage-The red cabbage in this salad is high in antioxidant levels, which helps reduce the risk of cancer. It is also loaded with Vitamin A which is good for your eye health. Add some Vitamin C for immune system strength. Red cabbage also is very high in minerals that are good for healthy bone health and growth. Plus who doesn’t love a little purple to their plate?
- Carrots-As well as having lots of Vitamin A and C, carrots have a good amount of fiber, which is great for your digestion tract. Carrots have also been linked to increasing blood flow to the body and are good for high blood pressure. The potassium acts as a vasodilator, which increases blood flow, boosting organ function throughout the body.
- Cilantro-Rich in Vitamin K, it helps in bone mass building. It’s also got those great A and C vitamins too!
- Almond Butter-It has copper and calcium, making it a good brain food, not to mention the good-for-you fats, protein, and fiber this yummy spread provides.
- Sesame Oil-High in zinc, sesame oil is good for your skin, increasing smoothness and elasticity and removing sun spots. It is also contains more good fats for your health, protecting it from heart disease. Copper is also found in sesame oil, which promotes healthy bone growth and acts as an anti-inflammatory.
- Sriracha-Wait, that “hot” sauce that everyone is raving about has health benefits? Yup. Sriracha’s main ingredient is chili pepper. Chili pepper has been linked to the health benefits of being happier. The chili peppers boost endorphins, making you happier. They also have serotonin, which improves mood and memory. This sauce is also good for the heart, boosting the body’s ability to dissolve blood clots, improving circulation, lowering blood pressure and reducing inflammation.
- Garlic-There seems to be a theme here about lowering high blood pressure, improving your heart health, and boosting your immunity system, because garlic does just that! Garlic also helps your body detox heavy metals and reduce bone loss.
So want to enjoy not only the taste but the benefits of this wonderful healthy salad? Follow my recipe:
Spicy Pad Thai Salad
- 5-6 cups of red cabbage-chopped
- 1 large carrot-shredded
- 1/4 cup of fresh cilantro-chopped
- 1/4 cup of green onions-chopped
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 garlic clove-minced
- 1/8-1/4 tbsp sriracha sauce
- 1/4 tsp ginger
- Combine all the salad ingredients into a large mixing bowl
- In a small dish, combine all the ingredients for the dressing. Mix well with a fork.
- Add dressing to the salad. Mix in and enjoy.
Well that certainly is easy….