So a few posts ago, I talked about healthy eating and how it is equally as important to your over all well-being as spirituality and your mindset. For a while now, I’ve been eating clean, which means that I have been cutting out processed foods. I’ve been eating a lot more foods found in nature, such as fruits, nuts, and vegetables. Eating clean, organic, unprocessed foods has helped in my overall health and mood. I have more energy. When I used to eat a lot of processed food or simple carbs, I felt so lethargic afterwards. Food is fuel for your body, so it doesn’t really run that well when you give it junk food. Clean, healthy eating has also helped in my physical appearance. No not like that! But my nails have grown longer, my hair, shinier, my skin clearer…who needs drugs and products when you have healthy natural food?! Another topic.
Any-who, since I am very health conscious now, I eat clean and natural foods. I try to eat organic and vegan when I can, but I also recognize the health benefits in foods such as salmon and greek yogurt. But like I said, when I can, I try to make alternative swaps for foods such as cow’s milk for almond milk. I also like trying vegan recipes. For a while now, I have wanted to make a vegan dessert. I’ve always had a sweet tooth, but I hate how addicting and unhealthy processed sugar is. Did you know that it’s 8x more addicting than cocaine? So since removing sugar, I have found ways to please my sweet tooth. I have switched to natural sweeteners such as honey and agave. I’ve also been dying to make some vegan desserts, a lot of which call for dates, which my mom so graciously bought today at the store.
With said dates, and a bunch of other natural yummy ingredients, I decided to make these cocoa cookies with creamy cashew filling. At first, I was using a recipe found here.
But when making them, I had trouble with my cookie forming abilities. I just decided to make mine into different shape and omit the tops, but the recipe is virtually the same thing.
Cocoa Cookies with Creamy Cashew Filling
Makes 10-12 cookies
- 1-1 1/4 cup of pitted dates
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup of raw cashews
- 2 tbsp liquid coconut oil
- 2 tbsp natural maple syrup
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
Here is my arsenal
- Process dates, rolled oats and cocoa powder in a blender or food processor until finely blended.
- Using the date/oat paste, form 10-12 balls on a roll of parchment paper.
- With each ball, cover with parchment paper and roll with a rolling-pin to flatten out the spheres.
- Next, round the edges of each flattened ball in to make a cup for the cashew filling.
- Repeat for each ball until you have a plate that looks like this:
- For the filling, in a food processor or blender, blend the cashews, vanilla, maple syrup and coconut oil until you get a creamy consistency.
- Scoop a dab of filling into each of the cookie cups.
- Get yourself a cold class of almond milk and enjoy!